This Curry Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe is a delicious twist on an old classic! It’s quick and easy to make and totally a family friendly meal.
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Several years ago my sister-in-law made this Curry Chicken and Rice Soup for one of the dinners at our family cabin weekend and it was a total hit!
We loved how cozy it was. And though it’s filling, it’s not too heavy, which is perfect for a weekend of doing a lot of nothing!
And while I still love traditional chicken and rice soup, I really enjoy the unique sweet and savory flavor combination that the curry gives to this recipe. Such a fun twist!
I often serve it with my Classic French Bread and a salad for a totally easy, satisfying meal that the whole family loves
Chicken Curry Soup Ingredients
- Large carrots. I love using this tool to dice veggies quickly.
- Celery. Optional, but great to add if you like it.
- Onion. This should be finely diced.
- Butter. Salted or unsalted is fine.
- Flour. Just simple all-purpose works great.
- Seasoned salt. You can easily make your own if you don’t have any on hand.
- Curry powder. Use mild or hot, which you prefer.
- Milk. Whole milk will make it the creamiest, but any dairy milk will be fine. You could also use coconut milk if you prefer.
- Chicken broth. You can use store-bought or make my homemade chicken broth.
- Chicken. Cooked and cubed.
- Rice. I love basmati or jasmine rice but any rice should work okay.
- Salt. Only add the salt if you feel the soup needs it before serving.
How To Make Easy Chicken Curry Soup with Rice
STEP 1: Saute the celery, carrots, and onion in a large skillet with butter until softened.
STEP 2: Mix in the flour, seasoned salt, and curry powder. Stir until smooth.
STEP 3: Pour in the milk gradually while stirring, continue to cook while it thickens.
STEP 4: Add the chicken broth, cooked chicken, and cooked rice. Stir occasionally and warm over low to medium-low heat.
FAQ & Expert Tips
- Storing and freezing. Store in an airtight container for 3 days in the refrigerator or freeze in a Ziploc bag for two months. To reheat the soup, place it in a saucepan and heat on low until it’s warm completely through.
- Tip for using curry. Curry powders vary so much in how hot and spicy they are. The brand that I use is pretty mild, so I always add more than 1 teaspoon. But if you have a spicier variety, you may want to err on the side of caution. It’s always easy to add more if you want it!
- Making ahead of time. If you want to get a head start on making the soup, chop the veggies in advance so you can just pour them in.
- Chicken. For a quicker meal, use canned chicken or rotisserie chicken.
More Easy Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Cream Cheese Potato Soup with Ham
- Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
- Creamy Italian Sausage and Pasta Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan
Creamy Curry Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 large carrots, diced (link in Notes for the tool I love to use to dice veggies quickly)
- 2 celery ribs, diced (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/2-1 tsp. curry powder (or more to taste)
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth (link in Notes for Homemade Chicken Broth recipe)
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt if needed
- In large saucepan, saute carrots, celery and onion in butter until soft.
- Add flour, seasoned salt and curry powder and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add milk; stir and cook until thickened.
- Add chicken broth, chicken and rice. Cook over low to medium low heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Curry powders vary so much in how hot and spicy they are. The brand that I use is pretty mild and so I always add more than 1 tsp. But if you have a spicier variety, you may want to err on the side of caution. It’s always easy to add more if you want it!
- Tool for quickly dicing veggies
- Homemade Chicken Broth