This 30 minute Easy Vegetable Beef Soup is the perfect quick, healthy meal! It’s loaded with vegetables and a comforting recipe that our whole family loves- even the non-veggies lovers.
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
As a little girl, I was a super picky eater and didn’t actually like vegetables that much. In spite of that, I always loved my mom’s homemade vegetable beef soup and happily gulped it down even though it was obviously chock full of veggies! I especially loved the melt in your mouth home grown Lima beans that she always added to it. In my opinion, they made the soup. (And if you haven’t ever had home grown Lima beans, well you are seriously missing out, because they are 1,000 times better than store bought ones!)
I often wish that I could make a big pot of mom’s simple, yet absolutely delicious homemade vegetable soup. But unfortunately, it was one of those recipes that she just kind of threw together, which is surprising since my mom is pretty much always a “go exactly by the recipe” sort of cook. The one time that I did try to replicate it, it turned out edible, but definitely nothing close to what I remember it tasting like as a child.
So, I’ve admitted defeat and accepted the fact that I can’t replicate my mom’s awesome beef and vegetable soup. Thankfully, I’ve found other delightful homemade vegetable beef soup recipes to enjoy though! And this tasty Easy Vegetable Beef Soup that I’m sharing with you is one of our favorites!
Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
I started making this recipe last fall. It came about like so many of my recipes do. I had found a tasty looking recipe for vegetable soup that I wanted to try for dinner, but I didn’t have some of the ingredient that it called for. So I started substituting ingredients and also tweaked some of the seasonings and things to get it to taste like a recipe that I thought we would love. And the result? An easy vegetable soup recipe that my husband raved over and my children gulped down as fast I remember gulping down my own mom’s vegetable soup!
I also really love the fact that this easy vegetable soup can be on the table in 30 minutes. Thirty minute dinners are some of my absolute favorites! Because as much as I love being in my kitchen, I just don’t have the time these days to spend hours making food. Which is also why I’m a huge fan of using this kitchen tool for recipes like this- it literally cuts my vegetable chopping time in half! Don’t you love time saving things like that?!
So, whether you’re looking for a quick, easy meal, trying to get your family to eat more veggies or just love a good bowl of soup, I’m pretty sure this Easy Vegetable Beef Soup won’t disappoint! If you give it a try, I’d love if you’d let me know what you thought of it in the comments below! 🙂
30 minTotal Time
Yields 8 to 10 servings
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 c. carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 c. celery, thinly sliced
- 1 c. frozen green beans (canned would probably work too)
- 5 c. water
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth (or scant 2 cups if not using a can)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 c. tomato or spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) can black bean, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 c. cabbage, chopped
- In a large pot, cook ground beef and onions together until beef has browned.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the cabbage.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Once soup is boiling, stir and then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender. If you can simmer longer, do! The flavor will become even better!
- Stir in the cabbage and simmer a few minutes more until the cabbage has wilted.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY: