Apple Dump Cake is an easy dessert that combines gooey cinnamon apples with a buttery crunchy topping. Made totally from scratch using fresh apples and a homemade cake mix, this recipe is a more nutritious take on a classic favorite. Enjoy it warm topped with some ice cream or milk for an irresistible treat that is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
It’s apple season again and that means we get to enjoy making all of our most loved apple desserts! And in my opinion, that is one of the best things about Fall.
This apple dump cake is my current favorite. It’s easy to make, uses simple ingredients and is so delicious.
There is something about the warm, gooey cinnamon apples combined with the crunchy buttery topping that just makes it quite addictive!
What is a Dump Cake?
Dump cakes are similar to a fruit cobbler, but they are typically made by dumping fruit or pie filling into a baking dish, topping it with dry cake mix and butter, and then baking it.
Obviously, this creates a super quick and easy dessert! And as a result, dump cakes have become quite popular.
Why Make Apple Dump Cake from Scratch?
Even though I definitely am a fan of quick and easy, I still prefer to make my dump cakes from scratch by using fresh apples and a homemade cake mix.
- It’s cheaper. Store-bought cake mix and pie filling cost more than making your own cake mix topping and buying fresh apples.
- It’s healthier. Both cake mix and bought pie filling typically have lots of sugar in them, not to mention food additives and preservatives. Making your dump cake from scratch allows you to control the amount of sugar that goes into the dessert and avoid odd ingredients.
- It’s convenient. You probably don’t always have a cake mix on hand. But you most likely will have the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt that it takes to make your own homemade cake mix topping!
- It tastes better. I personally think this from scratch dump cake tastes better too, so that’s also a win!
Yes, it takes just a tad longer, but I promise you, it’s still very easy!
Watch Video: Learn How to Make This Recipe
Apple Dump Cake Recipe Ingredients
- Baking Powder
How to Make Apple Dump Cake from Scratch
STEP ONE: Combine cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and vanilla; add to apples and mix well. Spread into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
STEP TWO: Using the same bowl, make the dump cake topping by combining the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour over top of the apple mixture and spread it out evenly.
STEP THREE: Pour melted butter all over the top of the cake.
STEP FOUR: Bake at 350º for 45 to 50 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.
ENJOY! You can eat the apple dump cake warm or cold. It’s delicious as is, but is extra amazing topped with milk, ice cream, or Cool Whip (this homemade version is easy and so good!).
Expert Tips and Suggestions:
- Best Apples: Almost any apple will work in this recipe, but less tart baking apples are going to give you the best flavor and texture. Honey Crisp, Gala and Cortland are some of my favorites.
- Spread the Topping: Make sure that you spread the topping evenly over the apple mixture before you pour the melted butter onto the cake. Also, try to get the butter over as much of the surface of the cake as possible. This will help the topping get nice and crunchy.
- Add Pecans: Some people like to add ½ to ¾ cup of chopped pecan to the top the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Subbing Apple Pie Filling: For convenience, instead of the apple mixture you can use 2 can of apple pie filling. This won’t be as healthy, but it is handy if you are in a pinch and want a speedier dessert.
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake: When ready to serve, drizzle caramel syrup over the top for a fun variation.
- Ice Cream: If you serve this with ice cream, vanilla is our favorite. But butter pecan or a caramel flavored ice cream pair nicely too.
- How to Store: If you have leftovers, you can keep them at room temperature for 1 to 2 days. After that, you’ll need to refrigerate the Apple Dump Cake. You can easily reheat any leftovers if you prefer to eat it warm.
Other Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Apple Dumpling Dessert
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake- from scratch!
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecakes
- Super Moist Gingerbread Cake with Caramel Icing
- Crazy Chocolate Cake (no eggs, no butter, no milk!)
Apple Dump Cake Recipe- made from scratch!
- 5 cups apples, peeled and cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Combine cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and vanilla; add to apples and mix well. Spread into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Using the same bowl, make the topping by combining the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour over top of the apple mixture and spread it out evenly.
- Pour melted butter all over the top of the cake. Tilt the pan if necessary to get the butter to cover as much of the surface of the cake as possible.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Eat warm or cold as is or serve with milk, whipped cream or ice cream.
- Drizzle caramel syrup over the top when ready to serve for a Caramel Apple Dump Cake.
- You can top the cake with ½ to ¾ c. chopped pecans. I would wait to add them until the last 10 minutes of baking to keep them from getting burnt.