This one-pan ground beef and potato recipe may be made with just a few simple ingredients but that doesn’t mean that it’s not full of flavor and delicious! Plus, it’s also hearty, budget-friendly, and ready in just 45 minutes. A weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
There is just something about a simple meat and potato recipe that is so satisfying. And it’s even better when there aren’t a ton of ingredients involved.
This hamburger and potato skillet is no exception!
It is one of those dishes that uses basic pantry staples that I always have on hand and I find myself making it regularly because it’s such a comforting, filling meal.
My sister-in-law, who helps me test my recipes, said it reminded her family of Shepherd’s Pie, but without all the work!
Watch Video: Learn How to Make This Recipe
Ground Beef and Potato Skillet Ingredients
- Ground Beef. Ground turkey or chicken could be substituted if needed.
- Garlic Cloves. If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use store-bought minced garlic or 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Tomato Paste.
- Worcestershire Sauce.
- Potatoes. Use your favorite variety just be sure they are about the same size when cut up so they cook evenly.
- Carrots. These get diced very small so they are soft when the potatoes are done cooking.
- Beef Broth. I’ve used chicken broth when I’ve been in a pinch too. It’s not quite as flavorful, but it still is good.
- Salt. Depending on the sodium content in the beef broth, you may need more or less for flavor.
- Black Pepper.
- Cream Cheese. Any kind of cream cheese will work, including Neufchatel cheese.
- Parsley. This is just used as a garnish and is totally optional.
How to Make this Recipe
STEP 1: Cook the ground beef and onions in a large skillet until it’s no longer pink. Drain the grease.
STEP 2: Mix in all of the remaining ingredients, except for the cream cheese.
STEP 3: Cover (it’s super important to do this!) and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add a little water or broth if you notice the potatoes sticking.
STEP 4: Remove from the heat and stir in the cream cheese. Garnish with parsley if desired, and serve!
Helpful Tips & Variations
Cover the Potatoes. It’s very important that you cover the skillet when cooking the potatoes. If the pan is left uncovered after you add the potatoes, the liquid will evaporate and the potatoes will stick and will not cook completely.
Dicing the Vegetables. You do not want large chunks of potato or carrot in this recipe, as they will take much too long to cook and you would need to add a lot more broth or water. I love using this tool to dice my potatoes, carrots and onions.
Make it Cheesier. Add in cheddar, Colby jack, or pepper jack for a cheesier dish.
For a Quicker Meal. Use frozen small square hashbrowns to cut down on prep work and make this recipe even faster.
Serving. Pair this with a salad or Garlic Swim Biscuits for a more filling dinner.
Storing. Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
To Reheat. Cook over low to medium heat on the stovetop until it’s warmed completely or you also reheat in the microwave.
Freezing. This recipe doesn’t freeze very well because the potatoes will tend to get mush when frozen.
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy John Wayne Casserole
- Cream Cheese Potato Soup with Ham
- Sour Cream Chicken Skillet Enchiladas
- Super Easy Sloppy Joes from Scratch
- Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
- Easy Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
One Pan Ground Beef with Potatoes
- ¾ lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups potatoes, diced into ½ in. chunks (about 4-5 medium potatoes)
- 2 cups finely diced carrots (about 3 medium carrots, or 2 large)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp. salt + more to taste if needed
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed (full fat, low fat or Neufchatel all work)
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onions. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cream cheese. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and bring to a gentle boil then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. If you notice that the potatoes are starting to stick, add a small amount of additional broth or water.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese. Garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!