This mild flavored super moist Gingerbread Cake is topped with homemade caramel icing to create an easy dessert that is perfectly delicious!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This gingerbread cake with caramel icing just so happens to be my father-in-law’s favorite, which of course means that it often gets made for his birthday celebration.
The first time I heard that it was the dessert of the evening, I was a bit skeptical, since I’m not typically a big fan of gingerbread-flavored things.
But one bite of this cake and all skepticism was gone! This cake was super moist, had only a mild gingerbread flavor and combined with the caramel icing? Well, it was just perfectly delicious!
Watch Video: Learn How to Make This Recipe
Easy Gingerbread Cake Ingredients
- Brown Sugar.
- Molasses. Use unsulphured baking molasses so it’s not overpowering.
- Butter. Salted or unsalted is fine. You can also substitute shortening if needed.
- Flour. Regular all-purpose flour works great.
- Baking Soda.
- Cinnamon, Ginger and Nutmeg.
- Baking Powder.
- Boiling Water.
How To Make Gingerbread Cake
STEP 1: Combine the brown sugar, water, molasses, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs.
STEP 2: Mix in the dry ingredients, adding the boiling water last.
STEP 3: Transfer the cake batter to a greased 9×13 baking pan.
STEP 4: Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
STEP 5: Once the cake has cooled top with my Quick Caramel Icing.
- Using unsulphured molasses is very important! If you use blackstrap molasses, the flavor will be much stronger and likely overpowering. I cannot promise that it will still taste good if you sub that!
- Storing. The gingerbread cake can be kept at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge in an airtight container or plastic wrap for 4 to 5 days.
- Freezing. This cake freezes really well so it’s perfect for making ahead.
- Frosting. Wait until the cake is completely cool to ice, so the frosting doesn’t soak into the cake.
More Easy Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Apple Dumpling Dessert
- Apple Dump Cake from Scratch- uses fresh apples!
- Best Ever Chocolate Cake – no eggs, no milk, no butter
- The Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- Blonde Brownies- an easy chocolate chip brownie
- 5 Minute Perfectly Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Super Moist Gingerbread Cake with Caramel Icing
- Mix brown sugar, molasses, 1/4 c. water and butter; add eggs.
- Mix in dry ingredients; add hot water last.
- Pour batter into a greased 9×13 cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Top with Quick Caramel Icing.