This cake mix free easy Pumpkin Dump Cake combines a soft pumpkin custard bottom with a delicious buttery topping to create a totally moreish dessert!
There are affiliate links in this post. If you use these links, I may earn a commission- please read my full disclosure policy.
I’ve never really been a huge fan of pumpkin pie. But other pumpkin desserts? Well, that’s another story!
And this Pumpkin Dump Cake, sometimes also called Pumpkin Crunch Cake, is one of my all-time favorite pumpkin recipes.
What Makes This Recipe Special
- It doesn’t use a cake mix. Most pumpkin dump cake recipes call for a yellow or spice cake mix. My recipe replaces the cake mix with just four simple ingredients, making it cheaper and healthier!
- It’s budget-friendly. This dessert is made with simple inexpensive ingredients making it a great budget recipe!
- It’s quick and easy to mix up. You only need 10 minutes of prep time to get this ready to pop into the oven.
- It’s delicious! The combination of the pumpkin custard with the crunchy, buttery topping is just so tasty!
Ingredients Needed For Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Pure Pumpkin Puree. You can make your own pumpkin puree or use store-bought. In fact, pureed cooked butternut squash will work too! Just make sure to not use pumpkin pie filling!
- Evaporated Milk. Half and half or whipping cream can be used instead if preferred
- Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- Flour. I use all-purpose flour.
- Baking Powder.
- Butter. Salted or unsalted butter will work fine.
How to Make the Best Dump Pumpkin Cake Recipe
STEP 1: Whisk together the cake ingredients.
STEP 2: Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
STEP 3: In the same bowl, combine all of the topping ingredients except the butter.
STEP 4: Sprinkle the topping on in an even layer. Then drizzle the melted butter on top.
STEP 5: Bake for 45 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely before serving.
Expert Tips and FAQs
Add Nuts. If desired, add up to 1 cup of chopped pecans on top of the cake layer before drizzling the butter.
Serving Ideas. While this dump cake is delicious by itself, you can top it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Boxed Cake Mix. You can use a storebought yellow cake mix in place of the cake topping dry ingredients if you prefer.
Unlike a traditional cake, all of the ingredients are “dumped” together without having to mix in a certain order or steps.
The major difference is that most dump cakes use a cake mix while a cobbler is topped with a mixture that is more doughy, similar to pie crusts or biscuits.
Store leftover pumpkin dump cake covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To freeze, let it cool completely and wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap then foil. It will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
More Easy Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
Easy Apple Dumpling Dessert
Simple Apple Dump Cake from scratch – fresh apples, no cake mix!
No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecakes
Best Ever Chocolate Cake (no eggs, no butter, no milk)
Quick and Easy Caramel Icing
Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 15 oz. can pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Combine first 6 ingredients. (I like to use a whisk.)
- Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In same bowl that you used before, combine the topping ingredients, minus the butter.
- Sprinkle topping evenly on top of batter and then drizzle the melted butter over top of everything.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 min. Cake should look set and top should be golden brown. Cool completely.