This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and it’s advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
The best grilled cheese sandwich recipe ever!! Loaded with 3 different cheeses, garlic and herbs, it’s the perfect comfort food.
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
It’s probably safe to say that we are kind of soup fanatics around here! During the cooler months, soup typically appears on our menu several times a week. Not only is it perfect comfort food during chilly weather, it’s also frugal and helps us stay within our $200 grocery budget.
Something that we love even more than soup though is cheese! During the winter months I always feel like our taste buds get to have a party since cheese is the perfect pairing for soup, and as a result, we enjoy them together quite frequently.
I recently bought some Kraft Natural Mozzarella Shredded Cheese to make one of my favorite “cheesy” recipes– White Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Seriously people, you have not lived until you’ve tasted these sandwiches oozing with cheesy goodness! Okay, so maybe that’s kind of an extreme statement, but you get the point. These sandwiches are amazing.
Stop and think about it. How could you go wrong combining three cheeses with a bit of garlic and herbs and then toasting it all between 2 slices of bread until the filling is all gooey and melty and the bread is deliciously crisp? You simply can’t! Because we all know that melted cheese is pretty much cheese in it’s best form.
As I already mentioned, I love pairing these White Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with one of our favorite soups for a satisfying easy homemade meal. And since they are packed with protein, I also sometimes serve them as the main food at lighter meals, too. Of course they make amazing party appetizers, as well. Cut them into smaller, bite-sized pieces and you instantly have a fun, finger food!
THE BEST GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH RECIPE
White Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
The best grilled cheese sandwich recipe ever!! Loaded with 3 different cheeses, garlic and herbs, it's the perfect comfort food.
Yields 5 to 7 sandwiches
- ½ c. cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/16 tsp. pepper (if you like pepper, go ahead and add 1/8 tsp.)
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. Kraft Natural Mozzarella shredded cheese (2 cups)
- 10 to 14 slices of bread (depends on how big your bread is)- we love my 100% Whole Wheat Homemade Bread
- butter, softened (about 2 tbsp)
- If using large curd cottage cheese, blend until mostly smooth.
- Combine cottage or ricotta cheese with olive oil.
- Add garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese; mix well.
- Add Mozzarella cheese and combine thoroughly.*
- Lightly butter each slice of bread. Place half of the slices, buttered side down in a skillet or griddle.
- Divide cheese mixture evenly between the slices in the skillet.** Top with remaining slices of bread, making sure to leave the buttered side up.
- Cook over medium heat until bread is lightly browned. Flip, and cook remaining side until lightly brown and cheese is melted.
* If you have time, for a fuller flavor, mix up the cheese part several hours ahead of time.
** You want the cheese mixture to nicely cover the surface of the bread, but don't pile it too high, because you'll end up having a hard time keeping the sandwiches together once the cheese melts.184.108.40.206https://www.thriftyfrugalmom.com/white-pizza-grilled-cheese-sandwiches/