These Super Easy Pepperoni Pizza Quesadillas are filled with pepperoni slices, pizza sauce and gooey cheese then fried until slightly crispy. A great kid-friendly meal or after school snack that is always hit and so much faster than making pizza!
My kids love pizza. But I don’t always love to buy boxed pizzas and I don’t always have time to make homemade pizza from scratch.
So I was pretty excited to discover pizza quesadillas!
They allow us to enjoy the deliciousness of pizza but without the work of homemade pizza and without the cost of boxed pizza.
We regularly enjoy them for lunch but they’d also make great snacks or a lighter dinner as well!
Watch Video: Learn How to Make this Recipe
Pepperoni Pizza Quesadilla Ingredients
- Tortillas. You’ll want to use taco size flour tortillas. Whole wheat tortillas work great too.
- Pepperoni. I use regular pepperoni but you can substitute turkey pepperoni if you prefer.
- Tomato Sauce. I love the extra flavor that garlic and onion seasoned spaghetti sauce gives. But pizza sauce, marinara sauce or plain tomato sauce work well too.
- Mozzarella Cheese. I think that mozzarella gives you the best cheesiness in this recipe. But if you have a “pizza blend” shredded cheese that will also be good.
- Butter. This makes the quesadillas nice and crispy.
How to Make Pepperoni Pizza Quesadillas
STEP ONE: This step is optional but it will make the quesadillas much less greasy and less messy.
Place a paper towel on a microwaveable plate, then spread the pepperoni on the paper towel in a single layer and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds- just enough to cook the pepperoni a bit, melt some of the fat and allow it to be absorbed by the paper towel.
FAQ and Expert Tips
- What is the best way to reheat any leftover tortillas? My favorite way to reheat these is in a toaster since it makes them crispy and delicious.
- Want to make these a bit healthier? Feel free to add in veggies such as onions, peppers or mushrooms.
- This recipe makes 2 quesadillas but you can easily double or quadruple the recipe to feed a family or larger group.
- Is this recipe easy for kids to make? Yes! It’s a great one to have your kids help with. And older kids can easily make it on their own too.
Other recipes that you’ll enjoy:
- Salsa Ranch Chicken Wraps
- Super Easy Sloppy Joes
- White Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 5 Minute Refried Bean Dip
Super Easy Pepperoni Pizza Quesadillas
- 2 flour tortillas, taco size (8 inch)
- 2 tbsp. tomato sauce (spaghetti, pizza, pasta or marinara sauce all work)
- 10 to 12 slices pepperoni
- 6 to 8 tbsp. shredded mozzarella cheese
- additional tomato sauce for dipping optional
- This step is optional, but, if using regular pepperoni will make the quesadillas less greasy and less messy. Place a paper towel on a microwaveable plate. Spread the pepperoni on the paper towel in a single layer and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds- just enough to cook the pepperoni a bit, melt some of the fat and allow it to be absorbed by the paper towel.
- Spread tomato sauce evenly over entire tortilla in a thin layer. Add pepperoni slices, covering half of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle the pepperoni with a layer of cheese and fold the "top" of the tortilla over.
- Melt a bit of butter in a skillet. Place 2 quesadillas in the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat ntil lightly browned.
- While the first side of the quesadilla is cooking, lightly butter the other side of each tortilla. Then flip the tortillas over and cook until the second side is browned.
- Remove from pan and let rest for a couple of minutes, then slice each tortilla into quarters or thirds and, if desired, serve with warm pasta sauce for dipping.