Skip the time rolling enchiladas and go with this Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Skillet instead! It gives you all the traditional flavors you are used to in an easy one-pan meal your entire family will love! And it’s ready in around 30 minutes.
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love a good Mexican-inspired recipe. And in this busy stage of life, simple, quick dinner recipes work best for me. So it’s no surprise that this creamy white chicken enchilada skillet is a favorite go-to weeknight dinner.
Why I Love This Sour Cream Enchilada Recipe
- Easy to make. It’s all made in one pot! Who doesn’t love fewer dishes?
- Simple Ingredients. Uses basic pantry staples that you likely already have on hand.
- Budget-friendly. No expensive ingredients necessary.
- Kid-friendly. All four of my children devour this recipe!
- So creamy. A fun change up from traditional red sauce enchiladas! I love the sour cream based white sauce in this recipe.
Watch Video: Learn How to Make This Recipe
Stove Top Enchilada Ingredients
Butter. You can use either salted or unsalted.
All-Purpose Flour. Any gluten free flour should work okay too, if you are wanting to make this gluten free.
Chicken Broth. Homemade bone broth gives this amazing flavor. In a pinch, you can also use chicken bouillon dissolved in water.
Chili Powder. I use mild flavored but if you like a bit of heat, feel free to use hot chili powder.
Oregano, Salt and Pepper.
Whole Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. Feel free to substitute with boneless chicken thighs.
Sour Cream. I have also used Greek Yogurt. It changes the taste slightly, but is still delicious!
Regular Sized Flour Tortillas. If you are wanting to make this gluten free, you could substitute corn tortillas.
Shredded Cheese. I love the flavor that extra sharp cheddar gives this recipe! But regular cheddar, pepper jack or a Mexican blend of cheeses all work well too.
How to Make One Pan Chicken Enchiladas
STEP 1: Melt the butter in a large skillet and stir in the flour. Allow it to cook for about a minute.
STEP 2: Whisk in the chicken broth and stir continuously until the sauce has thickened and it’s smooth. This should take more than a couple of minutes.
STEP 3: Sprinkle in the oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper, then stir.
STEP 4: Place the chicken breasts into the skillet. Once it comes to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 15 minutes.
STEP 5: Take the chicken out of the pan and shred.
STEP 6: Stir in the sour cream.
STEP 7: Return the shredded chicken back to the skillet. Add the bite size tortilla pieces, diced tomatoes, and black bean; stir to combine.
STEP 8: Top with cheese; cover and continue cooking until bubbly and the cheese has fully melted.
How to Store Skillet Enchiladas
Keep in the fridge for up to 4 days or place in a freezer-safe container or jar and freeze for up to 2 months.
To reheat, add back to a skillet and warm over low heat or microwave.
FAQ & Expert Tips
- Cutting the tortillas: Kitchen shears or a pizza cutter make quick work of cutting the tortillas into bite size pieces.
- Add some heat: If you like your enchiladas spicier, add a can of diced green chiles or hot sauce.
- Speed up prep: Use 2 cups diced cooked chicken instead of fresh to cut prep time in half! Canned or rotisserie chicken can also be used.
- Additions: Feel free to serve with your favorite toppings like extra sour cream, black olives, fresh cilantro, green onions, avocado slices, or guacamole.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Mexican Rice Bowls
- Salsa Ranch Chicken Wraps
- Creamy Crockpot Mexican Chicken
- Easy John Wayne Casserole
- Crockpot Tamale Pie
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
Stovetop Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¾ – 1 lb. whole boneless skinless chicken breasts 2 cups cooked, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6-7 flour regular sized tortillas cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 in. square)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes drained
- ½ (15 oz.) can Black beans drained (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese optional
- In a large skillet, heat butter until melted. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth and stir until sauce is smooth and thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper into the sauce.
- Add chicken breasts to the pan. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pan and shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir sour cream into the sauce and return the chicken to the skillet; add tortilla pieces, black beans and diced tomatoes. Stir until combined; top with shredded cheese.
- Cover skillet and cook until bubbly and the cheese is melted, about 5-8 minutes.
- Bite sized tortilla pieces- using kitchen sheers or pizza cutter makes this quick and easy
- Can add a can of diced green chilis if you want more heat/spice
- Greek yogurt can be subbed for sour cream
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be subbed for the chicken breast. Also, canned chicken will work as well.