This old fashioned Fresh Strawberry Pie is the best! It’s my mom’s simple homemade, no bake recipe and it combines strawberries and Jello, then tops it with fluffy whipped cream or Cool Whip. So easy and delicious!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
When I was growing up, our family always eagerly awaited fresh strawberry season because that meant we’d have lots of strawberry shortcake…. and this delicious homemade strawberry pie!
We all thought Mom made the best strawberry pie and the sight of it on the dinner table always created excitement!
I know there are lots of strawberry pie recipes that are more elaborate, but I still think my Mom’s old-fashioned strawberry pie recipe with Jello beats them all.
WHY I LOVE THIS HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY PIE RECIPE
- Easy To Make. Even if you aren’t a seasoned baker, you can still make this easy pie.
- No Bake. Perfect for the warmer months when you want a delicious dessert without having to turn on the oven.
- Minimal Ingredients. Only 7 simple ingredients needed.
- Budget Friendly. Because of the common ingredients, this pie is inexpensive to make, especially if you can get your strawberries on sale.
- Great for Parties. This easy dessert will make any occasion special and is great celebrating birthdays or holidays.
WATCH VIDEO: LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
OLD FASHIONED STRAWBERRY PIE INGREDIENTS
- Cornstarch. Helps to thicken the strawberry pie filling.
- Strawberry Jello. You will need the small box of Jello and could also use sugar free if needed. For a cheaper option, look for the store brand.
- Fresh strawberries.
- Cool Whip. You can also use homemade real whipped cream.
- Pie Crust. Using a store bought crust makes prepping easy, but if you have time try my easy homemade pie crust recipe or be a little nontraditional and use a Homemade Buttery Shortbread Crust instead.
HOW TO MAKE FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE WITH JELLO
STEP 1: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Whisk until thickened, stirring often.
STEP 2: Remove the pan from the heat, and pour in the strawberry Jello. Stir until it dissolves.
STEP 3: Let the jello mixture cool slightly, then fold in the freshly sliced strawberries.
STEP 4: Pour into the baked crust and refrigerate until the pie filling is set.
STEP 5: Serve with Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream.
HOW LONG DOES STRAWBERRY PIE KEEP ONCE IT’S MADE?
As long as you keep it refrigerated and covered with plastic wrap, it stays fresh for about 3 days. However, the crust may start to get a bit soft as time passes.
Freezing is not recommended due to the texture of the gelatin filling changing when the pie thaws.
FAQ & EXPERT TIPS
Is strawberry gelatin the same as strawberry jello?
Not exactly, but it is very similar. Gelatin, in its natural state, is just about colorless and tasteless. There are forms of gelatin where flavors have been added, that could yield the same results as jello. Keep in mind, Jello is a name brand but there are store brands that make the same type of product.
Can I use gelatin instead of Jello?
If the gelatin is strawberry flavored, then that should not be a problem. However, if you were to substitute regular gelatin, the taste could be off from the lack of sugar and berry flavor.
Are frozen strawberries an option?
No, fresh is best in this case because we are using jello. Even if you were to thaw the strawberries before adding them to the pie filling, they still retain more moisture than fresh berries which would change the texture of the pie and possibly make it runny.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake
- Easy Caramel Frosting
- Best Ever Chocolate Cake (no eggs, no butter)
- Easy Homemade Caramel Frappe
Easy Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
- ¾ c. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1½ c. water
- 3 oz strawberry jello
- 3 c. sliced fresh strawberries
- Cool Whip or Real Whipped Cream (link for Homemade Real Whipped Cream in Notes below)
- 10 in. baked pie crust (link for my Easy Homemade Pie Crust recipe in Notes below)
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and water; cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring often. (I like to use a whisk for this.)
- Remove from heat and add jello; stir until dissolved.
- Allow to cool slightly, then gently mix in strawberries. (If you are in a hurry, you can skip this step- the berries just stay nicer if it’s cooled.)
- Pour into baked pie crust and refrigerate until filling is set.
- Before serving, top with Cool Whip or Real Whipped Cream.
Oh this sounds fantastic–I never make pie this time of year I bet this would be a surprise for my family!
I’m anxiously awaiting strawberry season just so I can make this! Of course I might cave and buy some strawberries from the local supermarket if I get impatient. 🙂
Hi! I just shared a similar recipe on my blog! But I made an easy pretzel crust for mine. My kids love this recipe!
Oh yum! I bet a pretzel crust would be delicious. I love mixing salty and sweet.