This 30 minute Easy Vegetable Beef Soup is the perfect quick, healthy meal! It’s loaded with vegetables and is a comforting dinner that our whole family loves- even the non-veggies lovers.
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I started making this recipe last fall. It came about like so many of my recipes do. I had found a tasty looking recipe for vegetable soup that I wanted to try for dinner, but I didn’t have some of the ingredients that it called for.
So I started substituting ingredients and also tweaked some of the seasonings and things to get it to taste like a recipe that I thought we would love. And the result?
An easy vegetable soup recipe that my husband raved over and my children gulped down as fast I remember gulping down my own mom’s vegetable soup!
Why We Love This Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
Quick to make. Takes just 30 minutes from start to finish.
Healthy. Full of nutritious veggies plus a bit of protein from the hamburger and black beans!
Makes a Lot. Perfect for cooking once and enjoying twice. Also works well for nights when you are having extra people at your table!
Freezes well. Pop leftovers into the freezer to pull out on a busy day!
Ground Beef Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- Ground beef. Can substitute with ground turkey if preferred.
- Green beans. I use frozen, but canned would probably work just as well.
- Broth. You can use chicken, beef or vegetable broth.
- Diced tomatoes with juice. Any diced tomatoes, including seasoned ones, will work great.
- Tomato or spaghetti sauce. Use your favorite!
- Black beans.
- Chicken bouillon. Beef bouillon can be used instead.
- Salt, basil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper.
- Cabbage. You’ll want to use green cabbage.
How To Make Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
STEP 1: Brown the ground beef and onions together in a large stockpot until it’s no longer pink. Drain off the grease if needed.
STEP 2: Add all of the other soup ingredients except for the chopped cabbage.
STEP 3: Cover the pot with a lid and bring the soup to a boil.
STEP 4: Stir and reduce the heat to simmer once it boils. Keep it uncovered until the carrots are tender. You can simmer longer if you would like, the flavor will be even better!
STEP 5: Add the cabbage and stir. Continue cooking until the cabbage has wilted. Enjoy!
Save Time. I like to use this awesome chopper for recipes like this- it literally cuts my vegetable chopping time in half!
Freezing. To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely then transfer to a container, mason jar, or plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating from Frozen. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or cook on the stovetop over medium heat until it’s warm all of the way through.
Frozen Vegetables. If you don’t have fresh veggies on hand you can use frozen, it may just take a little less time to cook.
To Thicken. Since this is a broth-based vegetable soup it will not be super thick. If you want to thicken it up more, make a cornstarch slurry and pour it in. Then simmer until it is the consistency you would like.
Pair With. This soup is perfect for serving with rolls or biscuits. I love pairing with my easy Garlic Butter Swim Biscuits!
More Easy Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- 30 Minute Curry Chicken and Rice Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan
- Cream Cheese Potato Soup with Ham
- Creamy Italian Sausage and Pasta Soup
Easy Italian Vegetable and Beef Soup
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 c. carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 c. celery, diced
- 1 c. frozen green beans (canned would probably work too)
- 5 c. water
- 14.5 oz. can chicken or beef broth (or scant 2 cups if not using a can)
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 c. tomato or spaghetti sauce
- 15.5 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon (or beef bouillon)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 c. cabbage, chopped
- In a large pot, cook ground beef and onions together until beef has browned.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the cabbage.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Once soup is boiling, stir and then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender. If you can simmer longer, do! The flavor will become even better!
- Stir in the cabbage and simmer a few minutes more until the cabbage has wilted.