A delicious twist on the classic Ham, Potato and Green Beans, this simple casserole adds an easy homemade cheese sauce and crunchy bread crumb topping. Classic comfort food that is perfect for special occasions or a weeknight dinner. It’s also great for using up leftover ham!
When fresh green beans are in season, it always makes me think of this casserole. It’s basic, yet delicious. And who’s going to complain about a cheesy sauce? Not me!
Plus, even better, the cheese sauce is made from real ingredients. A major win in my opinion!
WATCH VIDEO: LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy to Make. This dish might be a bit more time-consuming to make than most of my recipes, but it is still super easy. And I think you’ll find that it’s worth the extra time!
- Simple Ingredients. Made totally from scratch with basic pantry staples.
- Budget Friendly. No expensive ingredients required…especially if you use leftover ham from the holidays.
Ham, Potato, & Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- Butter. You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Flour. I use all-purpose flour. But if you are wanting to make this gluten-free, gluten-free flour should work too!
- Salt. I’m always cautious with the salt since the ham adds quite a lot of salty flavor.
- Black Pepper.
- Onion Powder.
- Garlic Powder.
- Milk. Any variety will do. If you are using plant-based, it’s best to go with one that is unsweetened.
- Cheddar Cheese. Mild, medium or sharp- it all works great!
- Potatoes. I often use red-skinned potatoes, but really, whatever potatoes you have on hand will work.
- Green beans. I love using fresh green beans, but of course, these can be swapped for canned or frozen.
- Ham. Ham steaks are great for this recipe, but they also are not cheap. So most times I just end up using leftover ham. I think leftover smoked turkey would work great too!
- Breadcrumbs. Using seasoned breadcrumbs adds more flavor to the topping. Only have plain breadcrumbs? Learn how to season them!
How to Make Ham Casserole with Potatoes and Green Beans
STEP 1: Melt the butter, add in the flour and spices.
STEP 2: Pour in the milk and stir constantly as it thickens.
STEP 3: Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.
STEP 4: In a greased 9×13 baking dish, layer potatoes, green beans and then the ham.
STEP 5: Top with the cheese sauce.
STEP 6: Mix the butter and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle on top of the casserole.
STEP 7: Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
FAQ & Expert Tips
Do I need to Peel the Potatoes? Not unless you want to! Unless I’m using older potatoes with thick skins, I typically leave the skins on for added nutrition. Plus, it saves time, which is also great!
Can this be made Gluten-Free? Yes! Simply use gluten-free flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Save Time: Leftover baked potatoes work great for this recipe. I often will have a dinner of baked potatoes a day or two before and make plenty extra so I can make this recipe.
How to Store: Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Leftover Ham: Use this recipe after the holidays to use up your leftover ham.
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love
- Cream Cheese Potato Soup with Ham
- Herb Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Creamy Sausage and Potato Skillet
- Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie
Cheesy Potato, Ham & Green Bean Casserole
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. flour
- salt to taste (about 1 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups milk
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups potatoes, cooked and diced (no need to peel)
- 6 cups green beans, cooked
- 2 cups cooked ham diced
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Melt butter and whisk in flour, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Add milk, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Put potatoes in greased 9×13 baking dish, top with green beans and then ham.
- Pour cheese sauce over all.
- Combine breadcrumbs and butter; Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.