When fresh green beans are in season, it always makes me think of this casserole. It’s basic, yet delicious and who’s going to complain about a cheesy sauce? Not me! Plus, even better, that cheesy sauce is made from real ingredients. A major win in my opinion!
Just a little tip: if you work smart, you can save yourself some extra work and time when you are making this dish. Instead of cooking the potatoes and green beans in two separate kettles, just plan ahead a bit and cook the potatoes first, dump them into the baking dish and then use the same kettle to cook the green beans. Or, if you really want to plan ahead and save yourself time, have baked potatoes for dinner a few days before you are ready to make this dish and make extra. Then you can use those for your potatoes in this recipe.
Cheesy Ham, Potato & Green Bean Casserole
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ c. + 2 Tbsp. flour
- salt to taste (about 1 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 c. milk
- 1½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 c. potatoes, cooked and diced
- 6 c. green beans, cooked
- 2 c. cooked ham, diced
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ c. seasoned bread crumbs
- Melt butter and whisk in flour, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Add milk, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Put potatoes in greased 9×13 baking dish, top with green beans and then ham.
- Pour cheese sauce over all.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.