This homemade cream soup mix is not only healthier than the bought version, but it’s also cheaper too! And I love that it allows you to make as little or as much as you want at a time.
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Maybe I’m strange, but I enjoy playing around with creating my own homemade version of convenience foods. I find it fulfilling partly because it is typically less expensive, but also partly because it is just so much healthier!
Recently I discovered how to make homemade cream soup mix and I love it!
My method involves making a powdered mix which I like because it is both easy to make the mix and also easy to mix up the actual cream soup once you are ready to use it in a recipe.
It is also very inexpensive, costing me right around $0.25 to $0.30 per serving (the equivalent of 1 can). It works well as a substitute for canned soup in pretty much any recipe that calls for it.
Homemade Cream Soup Mix
TO PREPARE MIX:
- In a food processor or blender, combine all the ingredients; cover and process until vegetable flakes are finely chopped.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.
TO PREPARE SOUP:
- Whisk 6 tbsp. soup mix into 1 ⅓ cups water. Be sure to use a larger container since this will expand as it heats. I find a 2 cup glass measuring cup works perfectly.
- Microwave on high, uncovered, for 2 to 2 ½ minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For mushroom soup, add ¼ to ½ cup sauteed sliced mushrooms; for celery soup, add 1/8 teaspoon celery salt or one sauteed sliced or chopped celery rib.
- Use in place of 1 small can of cream soup.