This simple Frozen Fruit Smoothie is made with just three ingredients and so creamy and delicious! It’s perfect for an on the go healthy breakfast or an easy snack.
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
Unlike my husband, I’ve always been more of a milkshake/ice cream lover than a smoothie lover.
But that all changed one night when my mother-in-law made this easy fruit smoothie using frozen fruit and yogurt.
I skeptically took a sip and much to my surprise found it quite delightful. It was thick, creamy and refreshing!
In fact, I became such a fan that this simple fruit smoothie has become a regular Sunday evening dinner staple, as you may have seen on my frugal menu plans.
Why use frozen fruit to make smoothies?
Using frozen fruit automatically makes the smoothie thicker and more like a milkshake, which I love!
I know some people like to add ice to smoothies, but I personally am not a fan of the watered-down flavor that gives.
I also find that it’s more convenient to use frozen fruit. I don’t know about you, but I don’t always have fresh fruit on hand- at least not enough to make enough fruit smoothies for our family of six.
But it’s easy to buy a couple of bags of frozen fruit and keep them in the freezer!
What other healthy ingredients can you add in?
The great thing with smoothies is that it’s easy to slip in an extra healthy ingredient or two without it being easily noticeable– which is especially wonderful when you have kids.
A few of my favorites are fresh spinach, kale, chia seeds and ground flax seeds.
My kids love their smoothies and think they are a treat. They have no idea that they are enjoying something super nutritious or drinking spinach. I love being sneaky like that!
How to make a smoothie with frozen fruit
To make your frozen fruit smoothie, you’ll need just three simple ingredients.
- Milk. You need this liquid to be able to help the frozen fruit blend. You can use whatever kind of milk you prefer- dairy or non-dairy.
- Yogurt. This makes the smoothie creamy and also adds a probiotic boost! Again, you can use whatever kind of yogurt you enjoy. I love using my easy homemade yogurt!
- Frozen fruit. As I’ve already said, this is what makes the smoothie delightfully thick. And the flavor combinations are endless!
Once you have your ingredients, add the milk and yogurt to the blender. Adding these easy-to-blend foods first will help make it easier for the blender to do its job.
Add your fruit and blend!
If you have a high powered blender, there should be no problems. But if you are using a regular blender, you may notice that it is struggling to work.
If that is the case, stop! You don’t want to blow up the motor.
You can either add more milk/yogurt to make the smoothie easier to blend or you can just wait for 10 minutes or so and allow the fruit to soften a bit.
Recommended flavor combinations:
- Peach blueberry
- Strawberry banana
- Mixed berry- any combination of blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry
- Strawberry pineapple
- Tropical fruit- pineapple, strawberry, mango
Easy recipe for Frozen Fruit Smoothie with Yogurt
3 Minute Frozen Fruit Smoothie
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt any flavor/kind
- 2 cups frozen fruit
- spinach, kale, chia seeds, ground flax seeds (optional)
- additional fruit for garnish (optional)
- Add milk and yogurt to to blender.
- Add frozen fruit and any add-ins.
- Blend until smooth, adding additional milk if needed. Serve immediately.
Other recipes you might enjoy: