All the delicious flavors of a cheeseburger rolled into one frugal, easy recipe. This Cheeseburger Casserole is a definite family friendly meal!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
Our kids really aren’t picky eaters, but they definitely like some dishes much better than others. And this Cheeseburger Casserole? It’s one of their favorites!
Every time I make it, they scarf it down and offer plenty of comments about how much they love it. And as a mom, that is always welcome!
As the cook of the house, the fact that this dish is super easy to make and frugal ta-boot makes it a winner with me!
Not to mention the fact that it really is rather delicious. I mean, who can resist all the yummy flavors of a cheeseburger in one easy-to-make dish? Not me!
- 8 slices of bread, toasted and buttered
- 1 to 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
- ½ c. onion
- ¼ c. celery optional
- ½ c. ketchup
- 4 tsp. mustard
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 c. shredded cheese
- 1 c. milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Fry ground beef, onion and celery until ground beef is cooked.
- Add ketchup, prepared mustard and salt.
- Layer 4 slices of toast, half of beef mixture and half cup of cheese in greased baking dish (this is the one I use).*
- Repeat toast and beef layers.
- Mix milk, egg, dry mustard and pepper and pour over everything.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and let sit for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
MORE RECIPES THAT YOU’LL ENJOY:
My Mother, who may have been one of the original “frugal moms” (having been raised during the depression!) used to make this for us when we were kids. So glad to have found this recipe again! Thank you for sharing!
You have to love frugal moms! 🙂 And some of those Great Depression era ladies were absolutely amazing in how they were able to stretch stuff. I love reading articles from that era. Happy that I could help you reconnect with an old favorite.
Classic recipe, thanks for sharing! I like the bread crumbs. To be truly frugal these days I’d substitute hamburger for turkey. Hamburger prices are ridiculous!
Yes, ground turkey is definitely a great money saving substitute! Hamburger prices are making me cringe too.