All the delicious flavors of a cheeseburger rolled into one frugal, easy recipe. This Cheeseburger Casserole is a definite family friendly meal!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
Our kids really aren’t picky eaters, but they definitely like some dishes much better than others. And this Cheeseburger Casserole? It’s one of their favorites! Every time I make it, they scarf it down and offer plenty of comments about how much they love it. And as a mom, that is always welcome!
As the cook of the house, the fact that this dish is super easy to make and frugal ta-boot makes it a winner with me! Not to mention the fact that it really is rather delicious. I mean, who can resist all the yummy flavors of a cheeseburger in one easy-to-make dish? Not me!
Looking for a great place to get quality ground beef? Check out Savory Butcher! They are a growing company and aren’t available in all areas, but are slowing expanding their market! They regularly have ground beef for $2.99/lb. And they also have boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.99/lb. too!
- 8 slices of bread, toasted and buttered (I use my 100% whole wheat bread )
- 1 to 1 ½ lbs. ground beef (depends on how frugal you want to be!)
- ½ c. onion
- ¼ c. celery (optional)
- ½ c. ketchup
- 4 tsp. prepared mustard (the liquid kind)
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 c. shredded cheese
- 1 c. milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Fry ground beef, onion and celery until ground beef is cooked.
- Add ketchup, prepared mustard and salt.
- Layer 4 slices of toast, half of beef mixture and half cup of cheese in greased baking dish (this is the one I use).*
- Repeat toast and beef layers.
- Mix milk, egg, dry mustard and pepper and pour over everything.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and let sit for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
* I’ve used an 8×8 baking dish before, but you kind of need to really squish the bread in to fit. If you end up using an 8x8 dish, you could just tear the bread into pieces instead. That should work too!
MORE RECIPES THAT YOU’LL ENJOY: