There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
Recently I was craving these chocolate muffins and so I whipped a batch together and decided it was time the recipe got on my blog so that you all could enjoy them too!
I love these muffins for several reasons. First of all, they are chocolate, and well, I kind of have a thing for chocolate! 😉 Plus they are super moist and at just around 150 calories each, they’re relatively low calorie too, at least for a dessert.
I also appreciate how super easy they are to make. In just 10 minutes I can have these muffins in the oven making my house smell delicious! It’s as simple as throwing all but the chocolate chips in the blender, blending it a little bit and then pouring the batter into my muffin tins! I don’t know about you, but at this stage of life, wholesome food that is easy to make is a complete no-brainer for me!
Flourless Chocolate Muffins
- 1¾ cup quick oats
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup applesauce (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup yogurt (plain or Greek)
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup hot water
- scant 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a blender (or food processor) mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
3. Pour into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about ¾ full. If using 1 cup of chocolate chips, go ahead and sprinkle a few on top of each unbaked muffin. (see note below)
4. Bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
5. Return muffins to oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 14 to 16 muffins
* If you are trying to cut calories, you can just add the ½ cup of chocolate chips and skip the step of sprinkling some on top of the unbaked muffins. The muffins are good both ways, although obviously, the extra chocolate chips do make them a bit tastier!
Storage: If not eating muffins within a day or two, keep in refrigerator. Because they are so moist, they mold very easily. These muffins also freeze well, so you can always freeze some to enjoy later too!