This simple, easy Spanish Rice with Ground Beef skillet recipe makes a great 30-minute dinner, perfect for those nights when you need to get food on the table fast. It’s inexpensive but tasty and is a meal the whole family will love!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I discovered this easy Spanish rice and ground beef recipe in the early days of our marriage.
Back when I was still figuring out how to cook and struggling to make our very small grocery budget work, yet determined to do it because I desperately wanted to meet our goal of paying off our mortgage in 5 years.
I grew up in a meat and potatoes kind of family that rarely ate rice, so not only was eating it somewhat new to me, I also wasn’t familiar with good recipes that used it.
But I knew that it was a frugal pantry staple and was super versatile, so I started looking for easy rice recipes that I could add to our menu and hopefully stretch our grocery budget as a result!
Why This Spanish Rice with Ground Beef Recipe Works
Simple Ingredients – Nothing fancy required! Made with staples that you probably already have in your kitchen.
Budget-Friendly – This is a super frugal recipe and you can make it even cheaper if you buy your beef and rice in bulk!
Quick & Easy – A one-pan recipe that is ready in just 30 minutes.
Kid-Friendly – Because it’s made with minimal ingredients, kids tend to love it. A great recipe for picky eaters!
Watch Video: Learn How to Make This Recipe
Spanish Rice with Beef Ingredients
- Ground Beef. You could also swap it out for ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Bell Pepper. This is optional but if your family likes peppers, it’s adds a nice touch of flavor.
- Jasmine or Long Grain Rice. Remember to always rinse your rice before cooking it!
- Black Pepper.
- Tomato Juice.
- Shredded Cheese. We prefer sharp cheddar but regular cheddar, Mexican blend, monterey jack or colby jack all are delicious too.
How To Make This Recipe
STEP 1: Brown the ground beef, diced onion, and bell pepper in a large skillet.
STEP 2: Add salt, pepper, uncooked rice, water, and tomato juice. Stir to combine, then cover for 20 minutes to simmer. Cook just until the rice is soft and add more water if needed.
STEP 3: Sprinkle the cheese on top and allow it to sit until it’s melted. Stir it in if you prefer.
Helpful Tips and FAQs
- How to Store: Spanish beef and rice can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container. To reheat you can warm it on the stovetop or microwave it. You may need to add a little water to separate the rice.
- Using White Rice: If you chose to use regular white rice you will probably need to decrease the amount of water to 1.5 cups. I don’t recommend using brown rice.
- Want more flavor? Add a little chili powder, cumin or garlic.
More Easy Main Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- Sour Cream Chicken Skillet Enchiladas
- Easy Mexican Rice Bowls
- One Pan Spanish Chicken and Rice
- Easy Ground Beef and Rice Skillet
- Crockpot Tamale Pie
Easy Spanish Rice with Hamburger
- 1/2 to 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 c. diced bell pepper optional
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 c. Jasmine or long grain rice, uncooked
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 c. tomato juice
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican blend, Monterey Jack, Colby Jack)
- In a large skillet, brown meat, onion and bell pepper.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cheese. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is soft. Add more water if needed.
- Top with cheese and let sit until melted. (You can also stir the cheese into the rice if you prefer.)