Make your own homemade Peppermint Mocha Frappe with this delicious, easy recipe. It will save you money and is a great way to use up that leftover coffee!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
Several weeks ago after enjoying a peppermint mocha frappuccino at Starbucks, I decided it was time to figure out how to make my own at home.
I’m fine with spending the occasional $4 for the pleasure of sipping one of my favorite drinks. But the thing is, I’m not able to get out to coffee shops very often and I loved the idea of being able to enjoy a peppermint mocha frappe any time that I wanted to!
And being able to do that for a mere fraction of what I typically spend at Starbucks, was just added incentive!
So, using my easy Caramel Frappe recipe as a starting point, I got to work.
It was a tough job since I had to drink multiple frappuccinos for taste testing. Yup, totally a hardship. 🙂
How to Make a Peppermint Mocha Frappe
Use coffee ice cubes
I’ve discovered the secret to a really good homemade frappuccino is to brew coffee, freeze it in ice cube trays and then use that instead of regular ice. Using regular ice cubes as most frappe recipes do, results in a rather watered-down beverage.
The coffee ice cubes totally solve that problem and you end up with a delicious full-flavored frozen coffee drink!
Use cocoa powder
Initially, I tried using chocolate syrup to get the chocolate-y flavor I was looking for. But it was just way too sweet and much too mild flavored.
I realized that wasn’t going to cut it, so I grabbed the cocoa powder. I took one sip and immediately knew this was the perfect, rich depth of flavor that I was looking for and it totally hit the spot!
Use peppermint extract
A lot of homemade peppermint mocha frappuccino recipes use peppermint syrup. But I prefer to stick with ingredients that have multiple uses.
And since a lot of bakers, including myself, have peppermint extract in their pantries, I decided to use that.
I was quite happy with the end result and felt satisfied that I had created a Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino that even Starbucks would be proud of! In fact, my husband and I both agreed that this homemade version is actually tastier than Starbucks. And obviously much cheaper too!
But don’t just take our word for it, be the judge and try it for yourself!
Homemade Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino
Peppermint Mocha Frappe
- 2 cups strong coffee, frozen into ice cubes (see Note below)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or to taste (see Note below)
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 5 to 7 drops peppermint extract
- whipped cream and chocolate shavings
- Place all ingredients except whipped cream in blender. Blend until ice cubes are crushed. If you have trouble getting it thoroughly blended, let it sit for a couple of minutes and try again. (I’ve discovered that if you let it set for 15 to 20 minutes before blending it works much better! I just get it ready as soon as I get up in the morning and by the time I get dressed and eat my breakfast, it’s ready to blend!)
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY: