This cute butterfly cake is super easy to make and just uses a basic round cake pan. Perfect for birthdays or summer parties!
There are affiliate links in this post for your convenience. Please read my full disclosure policy.
I don’t really know how it started, but somewhere along the way, I got hooked into the tradition of making our children a decorated cake for each of their birthdays. We keep birthday’s pretty low key around our house, typically just celebrating with a simple party with extended family.
So even though making a decorated cake for each child takes time, I kind of have decided that it’s far easier than planning a big birthday party, plus it’s an inexpensive way to make their day extra special.
I’ll be totally honest with you, I am not a crafty person at all. I do love to bake though, which is probably why I was brave enough to try making a special birthday cake in the first place. But I always stick to birthday cakes that are very easy to make. In other words, if I made the cake, you totally can too!
This past year for our daughter’s 4th birthday, I knew I had to keep the cake even easier and more simple than I often do. Not only is her birthday in December, which is obviously a busy time of year, I was also dealing with lots of morning sickness, too.
Plus, her birthday fell just 2 days after my husband graduated with his Bachelor’s degree at a college that is 1 hr. away, and so we had a weekend full of lots of travel and busyness related to his graduation on top of everything else.
Thankfully, I happened across the idea of a butterfly cake and after some brainstorming, figured out a way to make one that didn’t take much time and ended up being very easy, too. And the ultimate goal was achieved as I watched our daughter’s face light up when she saw her cake. She absolutely loved it!
EASY BUTTERFLY BIRTHDAY CAKE
- 9 in. cake pans (you’ll need two)
- Small Sized Blade Ultra Spatula (makes it easy to frost the cake nicely)
- Cake Board (optional, but handy to place the cake on)
- cake mix or homemade cake recipe of your choice
- Icing of your choice and color (I used this buttercream frosting recipe, although one batch was barely enough)
- Candy for decorations- I used Twizzlers, M&M’s, Tic-Tac’s and Starburst’s
- Mix up cake and bake in two 9″ round cake pans. Once the cake has cooled, invert pan and carefully remove cakes from pan.* Flipping it onto parchment paper or saran wrap helps reduce mess.
- Cut cake into four pieces as shown above.
(I first drew a template using a piece of paper. To make the template, I simply traced around the bottom of the cake pan to get my circle. Then I cut out the circle and cut it into the appropriate sizes to make the butterfly wings. I then laid these paper pieces on the cake so that I would know exactly where to cut. This made it easy for me to cut both cakes into the exact same size pieces.)
- Take cake pieces and arrange the 1st layer of cake as shown above to form butterfly.
- Frost top of 1st cake layer and also lightly frost the sides (you’ll finish frosting the sides later), then place the second layer of cake on top of the first layer.
- Frost cake completely.
- Decorate! Let your imagination run wild and come up with your own butterfly design. Or if you want, you can simply copy what I did. Here’s what I used:
– Twizzlers (for the body)
– M&M’s and Tic-Tac’s (for the round and small oval spots)
– Starburst, flattened with a rolling pin (for the large red oval spots and the small blue square spots)
* Lining your pans with parchment paper makes the cake easier to remove. Also, I like to wrap my cakes in plastic wrap and then freeze for several hours before frosting them. This makes it easier to frost because there are fewer crumbs due to the cake being frozen.