John Wayne Casserole
This easy recipe combines layers of sour cream, cheese, tomatoes and ground beef on top of a tasty Bisquick crust for a delicious kid friendly dinner!
Servings: 5 people
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. onion, chopped
- ½ c. sour cream
- ¼ c. mayonnaise
- ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder (see recipe notes)
- 1 c. Bisquick (link to homemade Bisquick in recipe notes below)
- ¼ c. cold water
- 2 tomatoes, diced- more if preferred (see recipe notes)
- paprika optional
Brown ground beef and onion.
Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, cheese and garlic powder. Set aside.
Combine Bisquick and water to form soft dough. Press into the bottom of a greased 8×8 baking dish. (It helps to make your hands slightly damp to do this!)
Top with cooked ground beef then the tomatoes, then the sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Tomatoes: 1 (15 oz.) can of drained diced tomatoes can be subbed for the tomatoes- just be sure to drain them really well!
- I love using my Homemade Bisquick Mix recipe.
- Garlic Powder: can substitute with 1 tsp. jarred minced garlic or 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic.
- Doubling Recipe: You can easily double this and make it in a 9 x 13 baking dish instead.
- Additions: feel free to add in corn, green chilis or peppers. If adding peppers, fry them up with the ground beef and onion