Easy Mexican Rice Bowl
A quick and easy rice bowl made with simple ingredients. Budget friendly, filling and so tasty.
Servings: 6 bowls
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice (see Notes below)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 ½ cups salsa (any tomato based variety)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- salt (to taste)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican blend, pepper jack)
- shredded lettuce
- crushed corn or tortilla chips
- sour cream or your favorite salad dressing
- optional toppings: corn, peppers, green onions, tomatoes, avocado, fried egg, roasted butternut squash
Cook the rice according to the package directions
While the rice is cooking, heat the beans, salsa, cumin, garlic powder and salt until hot throughout. Stir to thoroughly combine.
If necessary, shred the lettuce and crush the chips. Prepare any other toppings you want to add.
Get 6 dishes and assemble the bowls by adding approximately 1 c. rice, ⅓ to ½ cup salsa/bean mixture and ¼ cup shredded cheese to each dish.
Top with shredded lettuce, chips, sour cream or salad dressing and any other toppings of choice. Mix together and enjoy!
- RICE: You can skip the step of cooking the rice and use 6 cups of cooked rice instead.
- LETTUCE: I've found that Romaine lettuce, leafy head lettuce and spring mix all work well with this recipe.
- This homemade salad dressing recipe is really good with this!