Super Easy Chocolate Granola
This easy homemade chocolate granola is made with simple ingredients, is delightfully crunchy and absolutely delicious! Breakfast just got more exciting!
Servings: 13 cups
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 4 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes (optional...but if you don't use, increase quick oats to 5 cups)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 cup oil (I love using melted coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Mix all the dry ingredients together, making sure the brown sugar is mixed in well.
Add the oil, water and vanilla to the dry ingredients and thoroughly combine. I recommend adding the vanilla to the water or oil as this makes it easier to get it mixed completely through the granola.
Dump the granola onto two sheet pans. Bake at 275° for 1 hour, stirring every 20 min. The chocolate chips will obviously begin to melt, so as you stir, be sure to slowly mix the melted chocolate into the granola. This is what makes the final product so delicious! The granola is done when it feels dry and no longer looks wet.
If it needs to be baked a little more, turn the oven to 300° and bake an additional 15 min.
Allow to cool completely before transferring to an air tight container for storage. If you avoid stirring the granola once it's out of the oven, it will be slightly chunkier.
- Feel free to add in chia seeds, flax seeds, wheat germ or other similar ingredients. Just reduce the amount of the oatmeal by the amount of whatever ingredient you add. For instance, if you add ¼ cup of chia seeds, then reduce the oatmeal by ¼ cup.
- Resist the urge to increase the baking temperature. The low heat is what allows the chocolate chips to melt slowly, making it easy to mix them in. It also keeps chocolate from burning as well.
- This granola freezes super well! So if you're afraid it will take you a while to get it all eaten, pop it in the freezer.