Flourless Double Chocolate Muffins
These tasty muffins are incredibly moist, lightly sweet and the perfect recipe for when you are craving chocolate!
Servings: 14 muffins
- 1 3/4 cups quick oats
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup applesauce (sweetened or unsweetened) (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup yogurt (plain or Greek) (plain or Greek)
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup hot water
- scant 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (see Notes)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a blender (or food processor) mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
Pour into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about ¾ full. If using 1 cup of chocolate chips, go ahead and sprinkle a few on top of each unbaked muffin. (see note below)
Bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
Return muffins to oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
* If you are trying to cut calories, you can just add the ½ cup of chocolate chips and skip the step of sprinkling some on top of the unbaked muffins. The muffins are good both ways, although obviously, the extra chocolate chips do make them a bit tastier!
STORAGE: If not eating muffins within a day or two, keep in the refrigerator. Because they are so moist, they mold very easily. These muffins also freeze well, so you can always freeze some to enjoy later too!