Crockpot Tamale Pie
This Crockpot Tamale Pie is the perfect frugal family crockpot meal! It’s hearty, filling and best of all, a quick and easy recipe.
Servings: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained*
- 2 cups whole kernel corn (if using canned, drain)
- 1 med. onion, sliced
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 package cornbread**
- 1 cups shredded Cheddar cheese optional
- 1 bunch cilantro optional
- Sour cream
- Salsa optional
- Tortilla chips optional
In bowl, combine cooked beef, black beans, tomatoes, corn, onion and taco seasoning. Mix well and pour into greased slow cooker.
Prepare cornbread according to package directions and spoon over beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro if desired.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. (Once corn bread is set in center, it's ready to eat.)
Serve with sour cream and salsa and tortilla chips, depending on your preferences.
* If using home canned diced tomatoes, I typically use 3 to 4 pints.
** I just use our favorite homemade 9x9 pan size cornbread recipe.
NO CROCKPOT? NO WORRIES!
You can still make this recipe! Just mix up the bottom part in a big pot and let it simmer for 20 min. or so on the stove top. Then make your favorite cornbread, bake it and when you are ready to eat, either top the cornbread with the bottom mixture or top the bottom mixture with the cornbread. Requires a bit more work, but it's just as delicious!