Warm Vanilla Custard Drink- a comforting caffeine-free drinkable custard that’s perfect for an easy breakfast or tasty treat!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
I was introduced to this tasty Warm Vanilla Custard Drink way back when I was a 23 year old in college. It was finals week and we were all feeling a little stir crazy from cramming for exams.
So when a classmate got this random idea to go and Christmas carol for one of our teacher’s who lived nearby, he had no trouble convincing a bunch of us to join him!
Our college was located in a snow belt, which meant that December pretty much always had us dealing with lots of snow and super cold weather.
That day was no exception. We shivered and huddled together as we belted out Christmas carols, while our teacher and his family peeked at us through the barely open front door.
We were just winding down, when suddenly the door swung open and out walked his wife, carrying a huge steaming kettle. One of their boys followed after her, holding a bunch of Styrofoam cups.
They proceeded to ladle out cupfuls of hot drinking custard for each of us. We were surprised but grateful!
I had never heard of drinkable custard before that, but I instantly fell in love. It was warm, cozy and delicious!
In fact, I loved it so much that I ended up getting in touch with her later to get the recipe. Which is a good thing- because now you get to enjoy it too! 🙂
This warm custard drink is pure comfort in my mind- all the taste of smooth creamy custard in the form of a warm beverage!
It’s the perfect thing for a quick breakfast (after all, it does contain eggs!), a warm-me-up drink or just to wind down with before bedtime. And I love that it’s caffeine-free too!
I’ve had some people tell me that it tastes like warm eggnog, which might be true. However, I really don’t like eggnog at all. But this Warm Vanilla Custard Drink hits the spot for me every time!
So if you like eggnog, then you’ll probably love this custard drink recipe. And if you don’t like eggnog? Well, you’ll probably like it too! 🙂
One more thing. If you have a stick hand blender it makes mixing up this drinking custard super easy! I just put the egg mixture in the cup that comes with the blender (you could use a wide mouth glass jar too) and then add the milk to that. It’s much less hassle than pulling out my big blender every time.
Warm Vanilla Custard Drink
Warm Vanilla Custard Drink
- 2 c. milk
- ¼ c. sugar (or more or less to taste)
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp. vanilla
- ground nutmeg
- Put milk and sugar in small pan and heat just until it starts to simmer and come to a boil. (see Notes below)
- In the meantime, blend eggs, salt and vanilla.
- Once milk starts to bubble, remove from heat and add a small amount to egg mixture. Blend immediately. (see Notes belwo)
- Add the rest of the milk and blend well.
- Pour into two mugs and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Heating: Bringing this just to a boil essentially "cooks" the egg enough that it isn't considered raw any longer.
- Adding the Milk: If you add all the milk at once, sometimes the egg will cook too much and you'll end up with little chunks of cooked egg in your custard, which obviously isn't so great. 🙂
- Maple Syrup: If you prefer to use maple syrup instead of sugar, you may. It adds an extra hint of delicious flavor!
Other recipes that you’ll enjoy:
- Easy Homemade Caramel Frappe (better than Starbucks!)
- Super Easy Homemade Yogurt
- Homemade Cool Whip
- Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Easy yummy recipe. Perfect for cold winter nights. It kind of reminds me of egg nog but not as thick. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, it’s such a cozy drink! Glad you enjoyed it, Susan.