This easy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan is loaded with veggies and can be prepared on the stovetop or in the crockpot. Simple, healthy and delicious!
There are affiliate links in this post for your convenience. Please read my full disclosure policy.
One of the ways we try to save money on groceries is by eating at least one meatless meal a week.
We love our meat, so I’m always excited when I can find meatless recipes that are so good and full of flavor that we don’t even think about the fact that we’re not eating any meat.
This Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup is one of those recipes!
I discovered this recipe last fall and it has become a regular around here. It’s super easy to make which is a win for anyone, right?
On days that I plan ahead well, I love the convenience of making this Easy Tomato Basil Soup in my crockpot.
And those days where I’m a little more helter-skelter but need something quick to make for dinner, I just adjust the recipe and make it on my stovetop.
The Parmesan cheese, milk and butter make this tomato basil soup just a bit creamy, and the chicken broth adds a nice depth of flavor.
I love too that it’s full of veggies and yet my kids are happy to eat it.
Since we aren’t crazy about big chunks of tomatoes I lightly blend it with my hand blender, and we think it makes it the perfect consistency.
Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan
Easy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan (Crockpot or Stove Top)
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
- 1 T dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ bay leaf (optional)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- ¾ tsp salt (do less if you don't like much salt)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, oregano, basil, bay leaf and chicken broth to a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until vegetables are soft. (If you don’t want a chunky soup, blend it until smooth. I love using my Immersion Hand Blender to do this!)
- About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux by melting butter over low heat and then adding flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth.
- Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed milk, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large pot. Cook until veggies are soft. Make roux as instructed and add to soup.
Recipe adapted from Today’s Mama.
YOU ALSO MIGHT ENJOY: