This easy recipe combines layers of sour cream, cheese, tomatoes and ground beef on top of a tasty Bisquick crust for a delicious, quick weeknight dinner!
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
While our family doesn’t mind tomato soup and recipes that use cooked tomatoes, oddly enough, none of us are big fans of tomatoes when they are fresh.
The thing is, while we don’t have much room for a garden here in the city, I love planting a couple of tomato plants each year because they usually grow well and are easy to take care of. So every year, I find myself looking for new ways to use up the random tomatoes that we harvest.
Several years ago I had a couple of fresh tomatoes that needed to be used up before they spoiled. As I was flipping through a small church cookbook, I came across this Deep Dish Taco Squares recipe and decided to try it. I was a bit worried that the tomatoes would be too obvious for the kids, but I made it and we all loved it!
In fact, it was so tasty that several weeks later when I got hungry for it again but realized that I didn’t have any fresh tomatoes, I improvised and made it using diced canned tomatoes. It ended up working really well and is my fall back method when I simply don’t have any fresh ones on hand.
This recipe is one of those comfort food sort of dishes….hearty, creamy and just plain delicious. An added bonus is that it’s always a hit with our children too and I love that it helps get them eating more tomatoes. Score!
Deep Dish Taco Squares
Deep Dish Taco Squares
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. onion, chopped
- ½ c. sour cream
- ¼ c. mayonnaise
- ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 c. Bisquick (link to homemade Bisquick in the Notes below)
- ¼ c. cold water
- 2 tomatoes, diced** (or more if preferred)
- paprika optional
- Brown ground beef and onion.
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, cheese and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Combine Bisquick and water to form soft dough. Press into the bottom of a greased 8×8 baking dish. (It helps to make your hands slightly damp to do this!)
- Top with cooked ground beef then the tomatoes, then the sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes.
You might also enjoy:
- Crockpot Tamale Pie
- Herb Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Oven Ready Lasagna (no boil!)