This DIY homemade bathroom cleaner is made from just two ingredients and yet super effective! It will save you money and help you avoid using chemical laden alternatives.
There are affiliate links in this post for your convenience. Please read my full disclosure policy.
After our first child was born 12 years ago, I became pretty determined to try to find ways that I could avoid chemicals in our house, especially in our cleaning products.
I never was crazy about the strong noxious smell of so many of them, but now that I had a baby that was often nearby when I was getting our house spic and span, I really wasn’t impressed!
I found a homemade cleaner recipe that was basically water and vinegar and it worked okay but was nothing great. So when I came across a recipe for homemade bathroom cleaner that people were raving over, I was pretty excited.
I made it last week, used it immediately and well, let’s just say that there was a reason that people were raving!
Not only is this homemade cleaner inexpensive and easy to make, but it also did an amazing job of getting things clean.
What impressed me the most is that the buildup that I could never get off of the caulking in our bathtub/shower wiped clean without any real effort when I used this homemade cleaner. It officially has me sold!
If you aren’t a fan of the smell of vinegar, try my friend Julie’s tip of using lemon or orange peels to help improve the smell!
Here’s the recipe so that you can make your own and enjoy the amazing results yourself!
DIY Homemade Bathroom Cleaner
- 12 ounces white vinegar
- 8 ounces Dawn dish soap (I used the blue)
How to make:
1. Heat vinegar until hot and pour into a spray bottle.
2. Add the Dawn dish soap. Put the lid on and gently shake to incorporate.
3. Use and be amazed at how well your bathroom gets cleaned! For tough soap scum build-up, spray the mixture on and allow it to sit as long as overnight. Then, scrub and rinse.
- You will only want to lightly spray the surface you are cleaning as this cleaner is quite sudsy and if you get spray happy you might get frustrated at the effort it takes to wipe it all up!
- I had originally posted this as equal parts Dawn dish soap and white vinegar. But since then have discovered that 8 oz. of Dawn works just as well and also produces fewer suds, making it easier to wipe clean.
You might also enjoy: