This Curry Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe is a delicious twist on an old classic! It’s quick and easy to make and totally a family friendly meal.
There are affiliate links in this post – please read my full disclosure policy.
You all know by now that I love soups! They’re such an easy, comforting meal, and often inexpensive too. This Curry Chicken and Rice Soup recipe is definitely no exception!
I was introduced to this soup recipe by my sister-in-law. My husband’s family is pretty large (he’s the second oldest of ten kids!), making it hard for us all to get together easily at someone’s house.
So once a year, we all head to a big rental house in the mountains (we call it a cabin even though it’s totally not rustic!) for a long weekend of hanging out and making memories.
And of course a big crew like that takes a lot of food! To keep the meal prep from totally taking over our fun, we divvy out the work and each family is in charge of preparing one meal for the whole crew. It works really well and it’s always fun to see what delicious ideas everyone comes up with.
Several years ago, my sister-in-law made this Curry Chicken and Rice Soup for one of our cabin dinners and it was a total hit! It was just the perfect comfort food and though it’s filling, it’s not too heavy, which is perfect for a weekend of doing a lot of nothing. 🙂
I still love traditional chicken and rice soup recipes, but I really enjoy the unique sweet and savory flavor combination that the curry gives to this one. I think it’s a fun twist and like the variety that it adds to my collection of soup recipes.
I often combine it with my Classic French Bread and a salad for a totally easy, satisfying meal that the whole family loves.
Give it a try yourself!
Curry Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
Creamy Curry Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 large carrots, diced (link in Notes for the tool I love to use to dice veggies quickly)
- 2 celery ribs, diced (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/2-1 tsp. curry powder (or more to taste)
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth (link in Notes for Homemade Chicken Broth recipe)
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt if needed
- In large saucepan, saute carrots, celery and onion in butter until soft.
- Add flour, seasoned salt and curry powder and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add milk; stir and cook until thickened.
- Add chicken broth, chicken and rice. Cook over low to medium low heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Homemade Chicken Broth
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE: